In case anyone is interested, I will need alpha/beta testers to try out the software and give suggestions. If you are interested, go to http://www.pingerthinger.com and send me an email from the contact page. (Sorry to make that a little complicated, but I've been having spam trouble lately.)
I would welcome help coding, although there isn't much left to do at least before alpha. I could use help designing a component to display a series of bar graphs, and if anyone really understands swing, I have a few questions there too... I hope to get this up on source forge after alpha, so collaboration should be easy at that point.
- add the foods you bought for your food storage
- automatically knows expiration dates for common food storage items
- automatically knows how much is in a #10 can for common food storage items (weight)
- creates a food storage plan based on your family
- Reports: what is expiring in the next N months, how close you are to meeting your food storage goals, how much of each food you have left to buy
- add new foods to the database
- Export to file what you have in your food storage (this way if someone decides a spreadsheet is more to his or her liking he can "get his information back out")
- printing- print reports mentioned above, print list of where various foods are stored
- bar graph- visually showing how far you have to go before you reach the goal. A graph lets me have a better idea of how well I'm doing than seeing that I have 24% of my grains. (If I can't get this working reasonably soon, I might just start testing without it.)
- Installer - I'm sure most people do not want to be messing with jar files themselves
- Documentation - I'd like to think my program is intuitive and it is, to me :)
The database creation was the biggest pain, so if someone just wants the database, I'm glad to share it.