Saturday, October 13, 2007

No-sew Felt Pea costume

I've been wanting to make my baby daughter a pea costume, but I didn't want to buy one. Here's what I came up with:On Halloween she'll be wearing a green onesie or blanket sleepers. Here's it again without the baby (the hat isn't attached to the body of the costume, it is just sitting on top):


Here's basically how I did it:
materials:
  • 3 pieces dark green felt
  • 2 pieces light green felt
  • 2 foam balls
  • small pieces of Velcro
  • hot glue gun
for the hat:
I measured my baby's head height and circumference. On the felt I drew a half circle that high and half the circumference long. I cut out both halves of the hat at once so they would match. For the stem, I cut out a small rectangle of dark green felt and folded and glued it in half. I put the stem inside the hat and glued the two halves of the hat (wrong side out) and the stem together. I turned the hat right-side out. I cut four, slightly curved triangles out of light green felt and glued them around the hat.

For the Pod:
I took a piece of dark green felt and folded it in half lengthwise. Then I cut out a curved shape. When unfolded, it makes the pod shape. I cut out two rectangular pieces of felt and glued them at the top of the pod to form straps to go around the baby's neck. I glued on a piece of Velcro to attach the straps behind the baby.

For the Peas:
I took some foam balls I got on clearance from wal-mart and wrapped a piece of light green felt around each one. Once I was happy with how the "pea" looked, I cut off the excess felt and glued the felt directly to the ball. (I only covered the top and sides of the ball since the bottom wouldn't be showing.) Then I glued the "pea" to the pod.

total cost: $3

No comments: