Friday, August 20, 2010

ipod touch vs ipad vs laptop vs desktop, an analogy

I've been trying to decide whether I want an ipod touch. Some things about them started bothering me. It got me thinking about windows and doors. A window lets me look outside. I can see what is going on. With most windows, I can open it and let in some air or yell to a friend walking by, and in an emergency I can get out of my house. A door is to let me interact with the outside. It isn't usually as convenient as a window for looking outside.

Ipod Touches and Ipads are like windows. They let me take a look at what is going on on the internet, but they don't let me interact well with it. Text entry is more difficult than on a keyboard. Yes, I can yell out the window at my friend, but if I really want to talk to him or her, I have to open a door. But a lot of the time, I just want to look. I want to see what people have to say, not add my own content.

Netbooks are like french doors, I can see out, fairly well, but I can go outside as well. They aren't quite as convenient as windows.

Desktops are like doors. I can open the door and go outside, but I don't want to sit on my couch in front of an open door all day either. Desktops can't move and are less convenient for a quick glance of what is going on outside. But if I want to go for a walk, they're the way to go.

My silly analogy has allowed me to understand the limitations of an iphone or ipopd touch. They are windows, and I am fine with that.

No comments: