Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Night in Bethlehem

My family has a tradition of celebrating Christmas Eve by pretending we are in Bethlehem.  We dress up in towles, turn off the lights, and eat semi-authentic food by candlelight.  Usually this is fun and traditional, but this year the kids actually liked what I made, so i'm writing it down so I can remember for next year.

Chicken broth, about 3 cans
Barley, about half a cup
curry powder, about 3 tsp
1 onion, fried
3 cloves of garlic
3 chicken breasts
1 can of chickpeas
6 mini carrots, chopped
pepper

handful of raisens for garnish 

put the barley in the chicken broth, add in the onion, garlic, carrots, and curry powder.  cook until barley is tender, about 90 minutes.  Add in chicken and chickpeas cook about 20 minutes. 

My husband added paprika and cayenne pepper to his.

I also made homemade pita bread, which was quite good.  I served cucumbers, appricots and raisens on the side.  Almost everyone ate it without complaining.  

1 comment:

forex courses in uk said...

I think he did a smart thing adding paprika and cayenne pepper. It would get a nice taste.