Friday, April 08, 2005

Something Fishy

I'm thinking of getting a fish. We have a little 2 gallon tank from Wal-mart (I know, the smallest tank you should have is 10 gallons, but that isn't going to work right now) I got a cheap heater for it, but I think I'll end up returning the heater because you can't control the temperature on it. I figured it would pick a temperature and turn off when it hit it, but apparently not.

I'm thinking of getting either some feeder guppies or a beta. I've had good luck with feeder guppies in the past, so we'll see how things go and if I can find any. Most places seem to only carry feeder goldfish (these can't handle a small tank). Fancy guppies are pretty but delicate. Feeder guppies don't expect any favors. A beta might be a good choice, but the last one I had died quickly. Petco and Petsmart both have a 14 day guarantee that if the fish dies and it isn't your water, they'll replace it. I'm sure this doesn't apply to feeder guppies, with feeder guppies you buy more than you want and assume a few are going to pass on to the big fish bowl in the sky.

I can't decide, though, if I really want a fish or not. I have the tank all set up and I think it would be fun. But then I'd have to take care of the fish. I think my toddler would like to watch the fish, I'm just not sure if she'd like them too much. Hmm...I guess that would be another reason to get feeder guppies. Plus they have a short life span, so if I got sick of it, they'd die off soon anyway.

1 comment:

Mika said...

A beta would be a great fish for a tank that little. They do well in cold water, so you don't have to have a heater. They are also pretty! That is what we have right now in a 2.5 gallon.