Saturday, February 19, 2005

Mommyhood

I was reading this thread on obedience at
millenial star and noticed one of the comments about being a mother. My church encourages that mothers be home with their children. I agree and so I am home with my children, but it entailed a big adjustment. I remember one of my co-workers telling me that his wife had a hard time when she stopped working to be home with their baby. I was fortunate (sort of) that the company I worked for
went out of business about a month before I was due, so not only did I get some time to adjust to being home by myself, I couldn't go back even if I wanted to.

I've had to learn to enjoy doing things with my children. This isn't to say I don't have my own hobbies, because I do, but I can't devote the time to them I could when I was single. I remember a story in Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People" (I think that's the reference). This woman has to work chipping bricks and hates it. Someone recommends she make it interesting for herself, so she learns all she can about bricks, how they're made, etc. She becomes an expert on bricks and becomes highly sought after. This is what I try to do, find aspects of taking care of my children that I enjoy.

No comments: