Monday, April 18, 2005

Mac attack

Are Macs really that cool?

I've been editing some video recently using Nero (not the best experience in the world). From what I've read, the best video editing software comes with a mac. I've been looking at the Mac Mini, priced at $500, although really it would cost around $750 since I'd want a DVD burner and a gig of RAM and a firewire harddrive enclosure for my spare harddrive. The real question is, is it worth it?

I'd have to learn a new interface. I've never had very good experience with Macs. The whole throwing a disk away to get it to eject is not intuitive. The last Mac I used had a power button right where the disk eject button would be on a PC; needless to say someone lost some work. I looked at a Mac at MacSomething and the interface drove me nuts, too many distracting animations, although that is all configurable. It reminded me of driving someone else's car, you assume the lights and windshield wipers will turn on somehow, but where is the stupid button?

I like the Mac Mini's design, size, and power consumption. The question is, it is hefty enough to do some light video editing (nothing over 2 hours long).

Since I won't start really looking until after April 26 when Tiger comes out, I guess I have plenty of time to figure it all out.

No comments: